MESSAGE FROM DIRECTOR OF RMC
The research management centre at Manipal International University (MIU, strategically plans towards R&D to generate new knowledge through basic research with our expertise and at the same time to indulge in applied research leading towards commercialization to successfully implement our Master Plan on R & D for 2021-2025.
MIU realises the significance of engaging and equipping our students at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels with skills and knowledge to achieve our mission (to be a Centre of Excellence in niche research areas of Engineering, Biotechnology, Business and Management offering the very best in research and innovation based on internationally accepted standards, delivered through up-to date intelligent technologies and research-based learning techniques) in order to survive in a competitive environment. This can only be achieved with a strategic Master Plan on R&D to gear our human, financial and physical resources to impact certain niche research areas that we are specialised in the engineering, biotechnology, business and management sectors.
For this, MIU recognises the importance to develop new strategies with high end resources in teaching & learning and research to enhance the ability of students to adopt to the innovation systems. In this connection, MIU is expected to equip students and researchers with current innovative and research skills in the medium and long term to sustain and contribute effectively to serve our local and global community in industrial and commercial entities.
As a result, our students and researchers will be positioned strategically to enter the job market locally and globally, thus strengthening the brand position of MIU.
Prof. Dr. Arokiaraj Pappusamy KMN
Director of Research Management Centre
Manipal International University
Objectives and functions of RMC
OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH CENTRE
The objectives of the Research Centre are as follows:
- To promote and coordinate research activities of the University and also to conduct basic research for the development of knowledge.
- To organize and conduct applied and policy research for the benefit of this country as well as other countries and in particular, for helping and to incorporate values including economic, financial, social, political and other aspects.
- To assist in the development and production of teaching materials for the University and elsewhere for the promotion of knowledge.
- To cooperate with other institutions of similar objectives.
FUNCTIONS OF THE RESEARCH CENTRE
In order to achieve the mentioned objectives, the Research Centre has the following functions:
- Promote and organize research efforts of the University in a planned, coordinated and organized way.
- Co-ordinate Schools research activities of the University and conduct in-house research by the research personnel of the Centre whenever desirable.
- Organize external research to be conducted by researchers outside the University.
- Provide consultancy services to both private and public sectors.
- Collect information on fields related to its activities and systematize and disseminate it for the benefit of research activities and public policy of the countries concerned.
- Provide occasional short courses/training/workshop on research methodology for academic staff of the University.
- Undertake any other activity which may help achieve the objectives of the Centre.
- In order to conduct and co-ordinate research activities of the University, the Centre does the following:
- Prepare the policies, rules, regulations and procedure concerning the conduct of research and distribution of research grants.
- Invite, accept and evaluate research projects for their support by the University.
- Provide logistics support including secretarial services, research assistance, etc.
- Monitor the progress of research projects and help overcome any problem facing the implementation of projects.
- Evaluate the research reports/outputs and make suggestions for improvements, if necessary, and decide as to the acceptance of the research output.
OFFICE OF THE RMC
The office is responsible for the research management of MIU
- To develop and review research policies.
- To ensures MIU researchers are conducted and managed in the best manner.
- To execute MIU Research Master plan.
- Operating budget planning and acquisition.
GRANT INTIATIVE UNIT
- Disseminating information on grant opportunities
- Administering grant applications
- Grant facilitation for national grants, international grants and research matching grant scheme
- Review of research grant proposals.
- Selection and Training of evaluators.
- Research Networking.
- Processing MoA / MoU related to research projects
Grant Initiative Grant management and Bioethics Committee
GRANT MANAGEMENT UNIT
- Managing private, local/government/industry and international grants.
- Monitoring of grants performance.
- Monitoring submission of progress report and End of Project Report.
- Processing Traveling Application utilizing research grants
BIOETHICS AND BIOSAFETY UNIT:
The Unit is responsible in the processing of research projects dealing with recombinant DNA technology and related matters on GMOs and LMOs
- To evaluate research proposals on recombinant DNA Technology and also on Bioethics within MIU
- To apply for approval to Genetic Modification and Action Committee for approval
- To approve on feedback from GMAC to research applicants on status of application